Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bleacher Blog!

Opening night for the Mahar Senators Football Team was a double win. First, the Senators Varsity squad displayed their level of preparedness in both offensive and defensive plays earning their first victory of the year. Second, the community celebrated the completion of the bleacher project with a dedication ceremony that took place on the 50 yard line. A thirty plus pound bronze plaque was unveiled with a ribbon cutting ceremony – reminding all of the level of support the Mahar community gives to its district.

I was not involved in the process that this community engaged in to reconstruct the school, put in the new athletic field, or secure the $300,000.00 necessary to construct our fully handicapped accessible bleachers. I was not yet a part of this school community when the construction was underway either. Now though, I see myself as a fortunate administrator and am grateful for the work that went into making Mahar what it is today.

At the ceremony last night we honored those who made contributions to the Roberta Baxter-Swan Memorial Fund and those who donated to the Kyle Flood Memorial Fund by having both families on the field to cut the ribbon and to unveil our new plaque. We also honored Congressman John Olver who was unable to be present for the ceremony and State Representative Christopher Donelan for their support of our school.

State Representative Donelan did not know that his name was going to appear on the plaque. Just two weeks ago he sat with me in my office preparing the perfect wording for this new monument. When I put the order in, I added Chris’ name to those who need to hear us say “Thank-you.” As a matter of fact, just before the ceremony Mr. Donelan attempted to look under the cloth that covered the plaque. I stopped him, telling him that it is bad luck to look at the plaque before it is unveiled. I wanted him to be surprised – which I believe he was.

To me the bleachers are not luxurious because they are new, or shiny. The luxury lies in the fact that they are the most handicapped accessible that I have ever seen at a school. Those who are mobility impaired no longer have to sit at the sideline trying to look through spectators, players, coaches, cheerleaders, or for that matter a fence. The bleachers are indicative of how inclusive our community has become – as now a person in a wheelchair can go all they way up to the press box! For one young man that I know, I hope to see him up there soon.

Congrats to the Mahar Football Team on their opening night win under the lights. And congrats to the Mahar community for the bleacher project – done to perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment