Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Thanksgiving Blog

Much has changed in the American School System since I was a child. I can recall decorating trees, decorating eggs in art classes, making cards for family members and sharing gifts with my classmates. Many of these activities are no more in public schools, or they are implemented with surgical political correctness, so not to offend any member of the community. Clearly the holidays of which I speak can have a religious connotation to them.

Ahhh, but then there is Thanksgiving. I am sure that there are some out there who treat Thanksgiving as a religious holiday – but for the most part it is a day when we get together with our families and friends to share in a celebration. This primarily secular holiday first occurred nearly 400 years ago and the typical celebration that is held in homes across America emulates what happened way back in the 1600’s.

Tomorrow the Ralph C. Mahar Thanksgiving celebration begins at 10:00 AM on our football field where our Senators host the Athol Red Raiders. There is tremendous excitement in both communities about this game. We are 9 – 0 and Athol is 9 – 1. Two excellent football teams meeting on a turf field on a 50 degree day, without a chance of rain. While those of us are here watching our teams and coaches battle it out, we will have in the backs of our minds the delicious food, and fine company that awaits us later in the afternoon.

Anytime I have been asked which holiday is my favorite, I am quick to point out that it is Thanksgiving. I enjoy the camaraderie found in excellent athletic programs such as ours and Athol’s. So before the NFL games begin, before the turkey or the stuffing with the family – I would like to say good luck to both teams in tomorrow’s game. Play hard and of course play safe!

Please allow me to say Thanks in advance to the Senators and the Red Raiders for a great game, and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment