Friday, September 23, 2011

Benefitting From Debate

This morning I caught a three minute video in which former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush along with Speaker John Boehner made a plea for citizens to make donations to complete the memorial being constructed in Shanksville, PA to honor those who were killed there in the attacks of September 11th. In the clip President Clinton stated, “What gets things done is cooperation. Conflict may be good politics, but cooperation changes lives.” When the next collection of leadership quotes through the ages is printed, President Clinton’s words will be read again and again.

In my most recent blog I responded to a letter that appeared in the Athol Daily News. When I wrote my response to the letter there was not a doubt in my mind that I was absolutely and willingly entering into a public debate (conflict). While the word “debate” may carry negative connotations, there is so much value in it. Buddhist teachings identify debate as a means to develop awareness, improve concentration, reform opinions, and provide clarity to situations while at the same time bringing others to do the same. As a result of debate, I have at times been left to feel even stronger about my personal convictions and have also been called upon to say, “Ooooh…I didn’t think of that!”

Truth be told, debate makes people smarter, more equipped, and actually helps us to develop personality. These are some of the many reasons for debate clubs in elementary and middle, and high schools around the world. But the most important reason is that through debate, we learn. In debate you can identify others to be well thought, well-intended, or unfortunately the opposite. Even worse though, try having a debate with an emotionally unbalanced person and you can find yourself in a world of problems.

So last night I had the opportunity to meet with Mr. Haskins in person. After an exchange of a couple of passages from the bible, and a brief discussion about the fiscal implications of regionalization, we shook hands. I explained to Mr. Haskins that I learned long ago that public statements are subject public responses, and private conversations are well…private. I explained my fear that a person who does not know all of the facts about the transformation that regionalization will bring to our town and schools could vote based on the public opinions of others. Ultimately, it is one thing to say, “Please come vote” and another thing to say, “My group does not support this issue, please come vote.”

Mr. Haskins explained to me that he really hasn’t made up his mind about regionalization yet. He stated that he needs to know more about the financial implications of this project. In his letter he did use the words “At this time….” These words show open mindedness and is really saying, “Hey, we want some more information!!!” This request is more than reasonable, and it will be answered in the Eileen Perkins Media Center at Mahar on October 13, 2011.

We hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment