Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What Makes Mahar So Great?

Just a few moments ago I had the opportunity to greet many of the students and parents who will be new to Mahar next Wednesday. As I walked from my office on one side of our facility to the Kermit Cook Auditorium that is located on the other, I started to think about what I was going to say to this group of parents and students. To be honest, until I stood in front of them in the auditorium I had absolutely no idea how I was going to address them.

While I stood at the back of the auditorium as they filed in I noticed how the students looked up at the high ceiling. Prior to my arrival in the auditorium I noticed some of the parents looking the school hallway up and down. And when I was standing in front of the group of nearly 100 people I noticed one young man staring at the grand piano that is positioned in front of the stage. That is when it hit me.

In my welcome to our new seventh graders I asked them to notice how shiny our recently waxed floors appear. I asked them to look at the new lockers and to pay close attention to our video surveillance system in place for their safety. I talked about the technology that we have such as our computers, smart boards, and digital projectors. I went on about the musical instruments, turf field, and athletic facility. I talked about how important our facility is in Mahar being such a “Great School.”

The next part of my introduction was about the fitness of our faculty and staff. The truth of the matter is that new desks, upgraded computers, digital projectors, and beautiful facilities don’t really teach the students. In teaching, the rubber hits the road where the teacher interacts with the student. I explained to our new Moms and Dads how we have the best teachers and staff in place to teach their children and how the best faculty is the second part of Mahar being such a “Great School.”

Finally, I told our new parents and students about the third and most important part of what makes up a “Great School.” I asked one of the new students in the room to tell me his name. He told me his name was Gabe, and I told Gabe that he was the third and most important part of a really “Great School.” I asked another student to tell me her name. She said it was Amber. I then told Amber that she was the most important part of Mahar’s being such a “Great School.” Then I asked a parent for his name. He said his name was Mr. O’Leary, and I told Mr. O’Leary that he was the most important part of Mahar being such a “Great School.”

The point that I made with our new parents and students is that Mahar is great and the reason that this is so is because of our students and our parents just as much as it is great because of our resources. The involvement of our new parents and the participation of our students in their own education is what will transform Mahar from the “Great School” that it is to the “Best School” it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment